Tips for Relieving Jaw Pain
When you have chronic jaw pain simple daily facial movements like eating, talking, or smiling become incredibly painful. Whether your pain is linked to bruxism or a temporomandibular disorder (TMD), there are a few things you can do to relieve pain at home temporarily. A full dental evaluation is needed!!
When you’re ready to seek professional help to eliminate your jaw pain call 732-741-1052 to schedule an appointment with Red Bank Smiles!
Use Warm or Cold Compresses
It is well known that ice reduces swelling and pain while warm compresses aid in blood flow and the relaxation of muscles. Depending on what you are looking for, apply either a cold or warm compress to your jaw for 15-20 minutes. This should give you some relief!
Practice Jaw Exercises
Jaw exercise can help increase joint mobility, eliminating some jaw pains. The three types of jaw exercises you can do are stretching, strengthening, and relaxing the joints. Strengthening exercises include opening and closing your mouth with added resistance. Jaw exercises should only be done after an evaluation of the jaw, as they can increase the risk of further damage. If you decide to try jaw exercises take care of how much you do and stop immediately if the pain worsens.
Avoid Certain Things
- Overly hard or crunchy foods
- Chewing gum
- Taking large bites of food
- Anything that require an excessive amount of chewing
- Avoid biting your nails
- Resting your jaw on your hand
Additional Things That Can Alleviate Jaw Pain:
- NSAIDs – Over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatories.
- Massage – Light massage over the entire muscle, not hard pressure on the sore area.
- A healthy bite – A healthy, optimally functioning bite that is also protected at night by a properly designed appliance such as a night guard can drastically improve jaw pain.
Take note of any habits that seem to be contributing to your jaw pain so they can be properly discussed with your dentist. Notice the pain worsening or not going away even after trying these tips? Contact Red Bank Smiles at 732-741-1052 so we can help improve your quality of life!